As the Chairman of Innovate46, it was a pleasure to meet entrepreneurs, investors, and other professionals at the SACC New York-hosted conference last week. The combination that was brought together and presented was both inspirational and informative – reinforcing the binds the tie the US and Sweden.
The conference, organized by the Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce in New York, helped Swedish entrepreneurs present their innovative ideas while we also listened to those who “made it” in America.
As I stood delivering my concluding remarks, I recalled the numerous presenters who had talked about their stories and showed how fearless they were while trying to grow their companies. Through tough times and good times, these entrepreneurs had to navigate a variety of regulations, litigation, and their own personal insecurities.
I couldn’t have hoped for a more engaging event and came away with some new friends and also learned many things – some of the things that I thought most interesting and I shared at the end of the conference were the following:
- You should “shoot for the stars” – don’t settle
- Find a balance in life
- Love what you do and have a passion for it.
- The US 2012 Jobs Act has been very helpful for start-ups and those thinking about coming to the United States, but not sure if it is the right decision, and want to feel their way
- Have to consider the tax implications US to Sweden and Sweden to US
- There is a lot of regulation in the US – it can be an opportunity as it protects patents and companies when they do the right thing
- Litigation – we are a litigious society in America – get good attorneys
- The US is a very diverse country. The 50 states are very different.
- Customer support is very important – they demand this in America
- Discussion about being “best in class” or “being part of the best class”
- Trust – find the right partner
- Entrepreneur = rock star
- You need to understand that you can fail and that is ok
- You need to be willing to go through a brick wall
- Know what you don’t know
- Invest in people
I am so proud of being able to be part of Innovate46, and wish our entrepreneurs the best in their future endeavors. Here’s to looking ahead at Innovate46 in 2015!
Founder & President